Tuesday 21 August 2012

Spoiling the boat for a h'apeth of tar!

Cheap Replacements
My Giant Defy 2 bike came with Tektro dual pivot brakes which weren't at all bad but had the most awful rubber block brakes. When I came to do some routine servicing, replacing the chain (For an excellent Wipperman Connex phosphor bronze coated chain) and brake blocks, I bought some longer blocks. Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying some cheaper ones from an obscure manufacturer.
Brake shoes must be fitted slightly "toe-in", which means that the front of the shoe should be angled so that it is slightly closer to the rim than at the back. This prevents brake squeal. On these cheaper shoes, this is accomplished by a dished washer and nut that fits onto a bolt that protrudes to each side.
I really cant remember why I bought these blocks other than that they were cheap, but it may be that they were part of a larger order so I tagged them on to save postage costs. They are longer which I thought may give better braking.
Shimano Blocks
When I fitted them, I thought they looked awful! The bolts protrude quite a long way and they just look ugly. In use, they also squeal whenever I clean the bike (every week) or if they get wet.
As soon as I could, I went to Blazing Saddles at Hebden Bridge and bought some "proper" Shimano blocks. These come with a shoe and replacable blocks that are held in place by a small allen bolt. Two pairs of blocks came in at just under twenty pounds, and I was also supporting a local bike shop in a town that has been flooded twice this year and needs every penny they can get.
These blocks are in another league completely. Instead of a protruding bolt, they use an allen bolt that fits into the block which makes it much neater and also easier to adjust. The blocks don't squeel at all and stop the bike very effectively.
Next time, I will not try and scrimp - a definite false economy!

No comments:

Post a Comment