Friday 30 November 2012

Genesis Day One Alfine 11

This is a beautiful bike! I will be about ready for a new bike in March 2013 and I've been looking at the many models which are available. Carbon fibre? - no I don't trust its longevity, Ultegra Di2 - yes but still very expensive, Titanium - possibly but some of the models look very basic.
And then, I came across the beautiful Genesis Day One Alfine 11! Its an alloy frame which should last years and is reasonably light but the two massive selling points are the disc brakes and the Shimano Alfine 11 hub gearing. It will have a gear range greater than my triple Giant defy 2 and has the advantage of being rugged enough to do some off road riding such as the canal toe paths and some of the hills around Hebden Bridge.

Just got to save the deposit up before March...

2 comments:

  1. In bicycle speak "alloy" generally means aluminum. This is a steel (reynolds 853) bike.
    I bought one and am extremely pleased with it. Some may moan about the weight but I am a bicycle rider not a racer so couldn't care less about weight (within reason). Highly recommended. Great ride. Very comfy. All I change was the saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point there Tom, yes its a "steely" and calling it alloy is a bit ambiguous!

    Im a similar kind of cyclist to you, mostly do shortish stints but occasionally do very long rides which round here usually mean a few hills. I can cope with the few extra pounds on this as it gives me the freedom to take the bike down some paths that I wouldn't try and go on with my road bike.

    Im also going to swap the saddle, probably put a Brooks on it. Im undecided about mudguards (dont usually) and bottle cages - it might be a time to grow out of the racing lycra and get a hydration backpack.

    ReplyDelete