Saturday 9 February 2013

Nexus 7 Aluminium Keyboard and Case

Mini Laptop?
Just a quick review of a new case I got for my Nexus this week.
The case is available from several outlets, but Infinite Zone sell it for the very good price of £13.99 and delivered it two days after my order.
This review is going to be quite easy, it one of the "does what it says on the tin" kind of situations. This keyboard is good quality, similar to a high end laptop although obviously much smaller. It connects easily via Bluetooth and is therefore completely wireless and doesn't need to touch the Nexus 7 in order for it to work.  The keyboard needs a separate charger which can be a problem - I am going to investigate some form of "Y" lead to split the normal micro USB into two.
Normally, you sit the nexus 7 on top of the keyboard which makes what is basically a small laptop. I thought that I would miss a mouse or touch-pad, but actually it is very easy just to touch the screen when you need to.
As a keyboard, I would rate it as 8/10, the only limiting factor is the smaller form factor, but unless you want to carry a large keyboard around with you, I dont see how this could be improved. The keyboard also makes a very good nightstand with the Nexus at just the right angle for bedside clock, if that tickles your fancy.
As a case, it is very good. The style of the cover is identical to the Nexus 7 so you effectively get a double sided Nexus 7 that can cope with most of the rigours that the Nexus is likely to encounter when in your pocket of bag. The Nexus clips into the cover but is easily unclipped. It does add to the bulk quite a lot, making the combined tablet and case 20mm thick as opposed to 10.5mm for just the Nexus. It does mean that if you use the Nexus as a normal tablet and just use the cover for protection when not in use, then you will be using the beautifully thin and light Nexus on its own, a definite advantage compared to other case designs.
Weight is also a factor, the combined tablet and case are 550g compared to just 340g for the Nexus on its own. I don't see this as an issue, as the combined weight isn't too bad and you wouldn't really notice it when you are carrying it around. Its a different story when you are using the tablet though, but as I have already said, you use the tablet completely uncovered so it isn't really a problem.
As a case, I would rate this as 8/10 - it provides good protection but could be lighter, which would probably mean it would be as good as a cover!
So, two scores of 8/10 would surely mean that I give this case 8/10 overall, but I would actually go one higher and say 9/10. The whole concept of a mini laptop and also the very high build quality without adding to the cost make this cover a steal.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Slim-Mobile-Bluetooth-Wireless-Aluminum-Keyboard-Case-for-Google-Nexus-7-/390528385359?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160



4 comments:

  1. OK so suppose I have my fancy Nexus keyboard device, as you describe.

    What actual useful thing can I now do on my Nexus that I couldn't do before? (beyond entering text without wanting to stab the screen for continually mis-reading what I type, of course)

    My tablets are great, but beyond 'casual' computing I'm failing to find proper uses for them. Any situation where I think "I could use my iPad for that" or "this would work on my Nexus" feels either forced or just an excuse to use it.

    So do a blog post about useful apps and real-world situations where using them would be better than just logging into the PC on your desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment James. I carry my Nexus everywhere and tend to use it as an information consumption device, ie news, blogs, social networking, email etc. Rather than a creation tool. Occasionally, probably three times a week, I use Google docs to create something or do work similar to what you would do on a PC. I also use it as a notebook, creating reminders and todo items.
      I'll have a think about your suggestion.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! The only problem with this is the one thing that I don't quite understand. Does the keyboard have to charge? And is it compatible with the 8gb Nexus 7?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it charges via a microUSB connector (same as the Nexus 7), can't really comment on how long a charge lasts as I don't do that much typing. As you are using Bluetooth, the nexus will also use a bit more power.
      It will work with any android Bluetooth device, so yes it will work with the 8gb nexus 7.

      Delete