Sunday 24 February 2013

Recovering

There has been some talk in the papers recently about the painkiller Tramadol . Its widely used in muscular and orthopaedic injuries. After some discussions (see "Snap 2"), I was given 16 Tramadol (two days at maximum dose) and two days worth of Diclofenac, another painkiller that reduces swelling.
I needed to organise a sick note for work, so I booked an appointment at my GP in Horbury. She knew I had been to hospital but didn't know what for as the notes hadn't arrived. She gave me a three week note which would take me up to half term and I was hopeful that I could return to work after then. She also gave me 200 Tramadol and diclofenac!
Tramadol are an opiate based drug that are widely available. Initially they certainly remove the pain but after a few hours the side effects make you extremely tired and you have strange dreams and even start talking to inanimate objects! I did need the maximum dose for a few days but as soon as I could I reduced the dose to the minimum. after a few weeks I was just taking them before bedtime. I switched to paracetamol and ibuprofen as my main weapon.
It was great not having a pot on, as it allowed me to move the arm as much as possible. By the time I went to fracture clinic (a week after the op), I could rotate my wrist about 75% of normal but using the elbow was very hard and my movement was restricted.
Two weeks later and I had some very bad news! My wrist movement was completely back to normal but the elbow hadn't improved at all. The physiotherapist really pushed it hard and it was extremely painful. I was told it was unlikely that I would regain full movement, and that I wouldn't be able to ride again. I was also told to stay off until my next appointment,
I called in at work the next day. Everyone was fantastic, right from the head to my colleagues in the Maths and ICT staffroom and I felt greatly valued and supported. 
When I said that I wanted to return after half term, the general advice was that I should listen to my doctors! My GP confirmed that it wouldn't be sensible to return early and so I have another four weeks off work!
I am gradually working on the elbow movement but it is really painful and I have to occasionally hit the dreaded Tramadol tablets which just knock me out. I am determined to ride my bike to work when I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment