Wednesday 31 August 2011

Back to the grind

Click here to see the activity
After the school Summer holidays (in the UK, we aren't at school between mid July and September), I decided to get back into my morning running routine. I normally do a 10k run every morning and average about sixty minutes. As I have done a lot of long rides through Summer, I didn't think this would be too much of a challenge. How wrong could I be?
The run takes me down a short but steep hill and then up a longish steady ascent. The hills on this run used to be a real challenge but after the monsters that I ride up, they appeared easy and in fact I found them pretty low challenge. I went at a slowish pace but was very surprised to see my heart rate was consistently above 150b.p.m. and sometimes into the 160s. On a bike, this would be just about my maximum and I wouldn't be able to sustain it for more than a couple of minutes. The run wasn't much of a challenge but I was pleased when it was over after about 70 minutes. You can check out the profile and mileage splits by clicking on the Runkeeper logo.
The next day I ached a little but by the evening I was in agony!
My abs ache but the most pain is in my legs. Glutes and quads are very sore and the front of my calves hurt. The pain is intense, in fact I cant really walk properly and have to be careful because I don't seem to have enough control to prevent my legs giving way!
I will try another run on Friday, and if that goes well then I will try again on Monday.

I suppose the moral of this story is that you may consider yourself fit, but take it steady when you are trying a new activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment