Thursday 25 August 2011

Doncaster York

This was just an excuse for a longer ride across fairly flat terrain. I followed the A638 from Wakefield to Doncaster. Its obviously a main road but wasn't too busy with only a couple of lorries along the route.
I stopped briefly to stretch my shoulders, I had a real knot behind my right shoulder blade which was excrutiatingly painful but it went after a couple of minutes work.
St Francis Church at Thorpe Willoughby
I helped lay the footings in the 70's
The lovely house where I lived
The Fox at Thorpe - my first "local"

Switching A roads to the A19 across to Selby, I took a detour to Thorpe Willoughby, where I lived as a teenager.
Selby High School, where I did my A levels
Cliffords Tower in York
Apparently the Waud family sold
this in 1825 (see this link)

I stopped in Selby for some of Tracy's lovely Brack, then pressed on along the A19 to York.
At York, I parked outside Betty's tea rooms and had another piece of Brack, then set off for the A64. TomTom took me along some back roads and then across a road bridge so I was on the correct side of the road, and the cyclepath is wide and pretty smooth with only a few rough spots across side roads.
It was getting late and I had to put my lights on, and it had started to rain so I met my wife at Garforth and hitched a lift home.

No comments:

Post a Comment