Monday 8 August 2011

I get knocked down!

Shimano M520
You have to take the decision at some point to go for clipless pedals on a road bike. Various sources state that clipless pedals are 20% more efficient than just using normal pedals or pedals with a strap. The idea is that you transfer energy more efficiently and utilise the upstroke as well as the downstroke to drive you forward. It's quite a jump, as you need to fit new pedals as well as buy special shoes.
You also have some decisions to make. I was advised to go for an MTB style of cleat as they are smaller and usually allow you to actually walk in the shoes without slipping all over the place. "Proper" road cleats are quite large and the shoes have a rigid and very slippy sole.
Shimano make some very nice pedals and the price can vary from £20 up to ten times that price. At the bottom end of the range is the Shimano M520, which is also very light and reliable - its rare to find a win win situation in road bike kit, but unless you are going for ultra lightweight then the 520's offer a very functional and good value option.
Shimano M087 MTB shoe
Shoes are very personal and it all depends on the shape and size of your feet. I have large, wide feet so I tried several pairs on before going for some similar to the Shimano M087s. There are many shoes which have velcro straps, but some of the Shimano styles add a ratchet type of strap which is really easy to adjust when you are cycling.
Using clipless shoes can be very amusing! I was told that I would fall off quite regularly at first, even if I set them at the loosest setting. Unclipping early helps, but I have fallen off at least once on every ride so far.
On a ride at Whitby, I stopped by a cattle grid and lent over to steady myself against the gate. My front wheel slipped away from me and I went down hard! I twisted my hip and bruised my leg as well as adding some lovely graze marks. I was concerned about the hip as my family all suffer from poor hip joints and I always try to look after mine! It took about a week to settle down.
Broken iPhone!
Another more serious accident happened on a very steep hill in Huddersfield. There were some roadworks on the road and when the lights changed the car in front of me didn't set off. I had got ready to go and with me being on a hill, I didn't have enough time to get my feet out of the cleats before I lost balance. I fell onto my left side and hit my hand quite heavily. For quite a few hours afterwards, the pain was at times excruciating.  Unfortunately, this wasnt all! My iPhone was damaged, the rear case was smashed to smithereens, spoling an otherwise great ride.
I suppose I will eventually get used to them!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, you will get used to them. I ride those exact pedals on an XC moutain bike and have never had any bother. The trick I find is to unclip early. so if you are thinking of stopping uncklip one foot, stop, put the foot down and unclip the other foot if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Im more used to them now, but its mainly when I misjudge the speed of the junction. I need to get used to trackstanding and take it from there.
    More annoying is the clicking sound that they are making. Ive checked everything over a period of time. Changing to another non SPD set of pedals stopped the clicking, and when I refit the shimanos they are fine for fifty miles or so then they start clicking again.

    ReplyDelete