Friday 5 August 2011

Tom Tom on the iPhone

TomTom
I generally track my longer cycle rides using the Runkeeper app, and it provides an excellent post activity record and in ride regular stats. Evey now and again, you come across either an unfamiliar or even new junction and have to make a decision about where to go. This usually means getting the iPhone out and loading Google Maps. Ive tried lots of other mapping apps and they nearly all need an active 3G or data signal which not only drains your battery but is also sometimes just not possible.

I managed to get hold of a copy of TomTom UK and Ireland, and was pleased to see that it stores its maps in the phone and only needs a GPS signal to get a lock. You can set it to plan cycle routes by default (Settings->Route Planning->Default route type) and if you plan your journeys carefully, adding "via" stops (Options->Find Alternative->Travel via), then you get audible feedback that re-calculates when you make a mistake.

I did a short route to test it out, and it didn't seem to run the battery down much more than using Runkeeper on it own.

Turn WiFi, 3G and data off. If you aren't using Bluetooth headphones, then turn that off too. On longer climbs, I sometimes play pod-casts or music - there isn't much point when your speed gets above 20mph as wind noise makes it practically impossible to hear. I also have music turned off on busier roads, you need every bit of information that you can and having a musical distraction could mean all the difference between safety and danger. The standard iPhone "buds" are pretty rubbish, but you may find that spending a lot of money of some in-ear earphones may lead to sorrow as they get some hammer and dont last long. I use Sennheiser Adidas headphones. They are waterproof and have Kevlar reinforcement which has so far been able to resist any breakages. They also have an iPhone control which hangs just by your shoulder which makes it easy to answer and make calls, turn volume up or down and change ipod tracks. I have an app on my Jailbroken iPhone 4 which reads any text messages out so I dont have to stop when I get a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment